Sunday, May 29, 2016

Stay True

Cold, hard hearts wreaking havoc everywhere you turn.
Look up, look around, it's all okay now.
Let me see the light in your eyes.
Then tell me all your secrets, save all your lies.
Shivering fingers and scarred, sunburned skin.
Hoof beats whispering, calling louder the closer they come.
Long strides, big country and tired eyes.
There's a lot of things running through my mind.
Like horses and whisky.
The moon and you.
Tell me a good story.
Burning our pains with good vibes and kisses goodnight.
I hope you don't cry too hard and I hope you keep a soft heart.
I hope you never let anyone break your spirit.
I hope you don't become a slate for others to etch upon the bad habits they learned in a broken home.
Get tough and stay tough.
Be the right kind of beautiful.
The kind with Jesus in your heart and love in your eyes.
You can get weak, it's okay. I've been there and it's ugly.
But stay true, you really can get through it.
I promise you that. I really do promise.

Xoxo, Gussie

1 comment: