Friday, October 19, 2012

Me an' Ol' Smokey My Friend

He was born at "The Sixes" on the west Texas plains, 
A son of Gray Badger and a hard one to tame.
A heart full of willing and a mind full of try.
It's the look of the eagle you see in his eye.

And we'd ride across prairies where nobody's been,
Sleep under the sky where the eagle is king.
And we'd bunch up the dogies that nobody's seen.
Just me and ol' Smokey my friend.

Early each mornin' I'd line out my tack,
Smooth out the hump in old Smokey's back.
We'd bunch up them dogies from dawn until dusk.
Just God an' the prairie an' coyotes an' us.


And we'd ride across prairies where nobody's been,
Sleep under the sky where the eagle is king.
And we'd bunch up the dogies that nobody's seen.
Just me and ol' Smokey my friend.

When his ride is over, I'll dig Smokey's grave.
I own that hill where the Bluebonnets sway.
So he'll be remembered, 
I write with my pen, 
this song about Smokey, 
this cowpuncher's friend.

Now we'd ride across prairies where nobody's been,
Sleep under the sky where the eagle is king.
Now we'd bunch up the dogies that nobody's seen.
Just me and ol' Smokey my friend.
Old Smokey this cowpuncher's friend.

   --Smokey
      --Red Steagall 


Well, this song is a little tender to my heart.
The first horse you fall in love with, you won't forget him/her. Ever.
It could have been a borderline worthless, sometimes hotheaded, ill built, almost ugly horse, but it had heart, so it didn't matter because you can't help it.
You just fall in love with the creature. And the creature, he falls in love with you.
Once you've seen it, you understand, if you've lived it then, well, yeah.
Now I'll bet I could make almost any one of you out there reading this cry if I told you to put your favorite horse's name in place of Smokey's and sing the song to yourself.
Well now, I should be fair and do it too. But I don't have to change any names or words.
My horse, his name; Smokey. Same spelling, same heart.
Alive enough to play games, but always watching out for his little girl.
Always remember your horse.
That one that pops out among all the others.
The exceptional one.
The horse that, from other eyes would not be first choice but that you loved dearly.
The one that you clicked with.
Your very own, one and only, other piece to the puzzle.


--Gussie Lou

1 comment:

  1. hi my name is jordan ya dont know me but i just wanted to let ya that this really got to me and is exactly how i feel about some a special horse

    thank you for writing this

    ReplyDelete